Saturday 17 September 2011

Vanilla and the Red Velvet Cupcakes

I am not going to write too much about these two cupcake flavours as they are very old favourites from the first cook book. Had to make them since they were included in the Cake Days book though.

Made them both in the same weekend. The red velvet took me a little while longer to make as the ingredients are slightly different to the usual cupcake batter and the process was written differently to the how it was worded in the first book. Took me a while to get back into the rhythm of making them again. Topped them off with the standard cream cheese frosting. They looked fab and I remembered why I fell in love with this recipe in the first place.

The vanilla cupcakes I added my own edge onto..instead of topping them with the usual plain vanilla icing I turned them into cookie monster cupcakes. This involves colouring the icing blue, using coloured desiccated coconut on top of that and them I used some fondant icing to finish off the details. They looked fab and adds a nice twist on a usually plain sponge.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh it's great to find someone else who's ploughing their way through the Hummingbird Bakery cookbooks. I think I need to make the red velvet ones again, I had forgotten how nice they were (I think it's the cream cheese icing, yum!!)

    ReplyDelete