Saturday 17 September 2011

Walnut and Honey Loaf

Not sure why I decided on making this loaf. I am not a fan of nuts nor honey for that matter but loaves are easy to make so gave it a try.

Mixed up the sugar and eggs then they dry ingredients are added in two stages until all mixed well. The vanilla essence, plain yoghurt and half of the honey is added to this mixture and the chopped walnuts are stirred in my hand with a wooden spoon. I used the mini blender to whir these up as I hate chopping them, it takes such a long time and I usually ping a few around the kitchen in the process and I prefer my nuts in tiny pieces if I do eat them.

All stirred in and poured into the buttered and floured loaf tin. Into the oven for just over an hour, it was about 70 minutes in total in fact. Whilst the cake is cooking you are meant to boil the remaining honey with a little water until the liquid has deduced by half and then it is to be poured over the loaf just after it has finished cooking.

I forgot to do this and took the loaf out and left it to cool on the side immediately. It wasn't until a fair bit later at night that I remembered and so made up the soaking syrup for the top. I think I left it reduce a bit too much as it basically dried and hardened as soon as it was poured over the now cold loaf. This made it difficult to cut as it got in the way and just stuck to the knife but I made it work in the end.

My neighbours were actually the first to try some as they had popped over with some leftover for us to have just as I was finishing the syrup off. Cut them a few slices and then again realised I had not taken my picture. Ah well. Next was my trusted tasting friend who loves all things nuts so she couldn't wait to get dive into this one. I have to make a confession to make..I only tried a tiny bit of this loaf. It didn't appeal to me but from what I tasted it was nice and moist with the honey. Probably not something I would make for myself often.



No comments:

Post a Comment